No. of Recommendations: 0
Awesome book---the movie missed it's themes entirely.

(I'm a sci-fi nut)
Print the post Back To Top
Yeah, the book is in a very real sense a non-fiction polemic. There are pages and pages which deal are essentially disseration by one or the other of the characters. While I don't agree with all that is said, it is a good book.

Frolix8
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have never read this book, mainly because of the Scientology connection. I am a huge science fiction fan (well, DUH!).

Maybe we can get a sci fi book to discuss. A few recommendations:

Ursula K. LeGuin
The Word For World is Forest
The Lathe of Heaven
The Dispossessed

Ray Bradbury
The Martian Chronicles

Jules Verne
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

H. G. Welles
The Island of Dr. Moreau
The Time Machine

I stuck to the classics because they have a wider appeal.

Uhura :o)
The Dispossesed would be a good choice for Science Fiction.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have never read this book, mainly because of the Scientology connection.

I think I missed something. It's been a few years since I read ST, but I don't remember any onnection to Scientology.

Bob
"I think I missed something. It's been a few years since I read ST, but I don't remember any onnection to Scientology."

I don't either. Could this poster be thinking of the sc-fi novels by L. Ron Hubbard (Scientology's founder)?

Steve G.

"I think I missed something. It's been a few years since I read ST, but I don't remember any onnection to Scientology."

I don't either. Could this poster be thinking of the sc-fi novels by L. Ron Hubbard (Scientology's founder)?

I think you may be right. If Robert Heinlein was a Scientologist, he hid it well.
Uhura,

What a coincidence! In my purchases from the used bookstore Saturday is a copy of The Time Machine!

I'd join a discussion of this book with you, even though you are a Red Sox fan!

Scammell
(whose ability to be a fan was crushed by the Stanley/Chiraldi/Buckner debacle. And I lost ten bucks!!)

I think you may be right. If Robert Heinlein was a Scientologist, he hid it well.

My bad. I was confusing Starship Troopers with Battlefield Earth. Sorry!

Uhura :o)
It's been a very long day.
My bad. I was confusing Starship Troopers with Battlefield Earth. Sorry!

That makes more sense. Heinlein had a running battle with the LRoners.

Bob
I would consider myself a sci-fi novice, but I would like to cover some of the classics. There seems to be some interest in this genre, so lets pick a title and set up a date to discuss it.

There have been a few suggestions here. I would read any of them if we could get enough (5-6) people interested. Starship Troopers was suggested first so that seems as good as any, but if there is as desire for something different, I am fine with that.

Who's in?

1FW
I am a big scifi fan and Heinlein fan. Count me in.
There are lots of other good Heinlein books to discuss
in the future.

Just for fun, here's a few scifi classics that I think
are fabulously entertaining as well as thought-provoking.
I'd be happy to lead a discussion on any in the future
if anyone would like
1. The Demolished Man - Alfred Bester
2. Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
3. Rendevouz with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke
4. Foundation - Isaac Asimov

Happy Reading,
Kim
Hi Uhura,

I have never read this book, mainly because of the Scientology connection. I am a huge science fiction fan (well, DUH!)

What Scientology connection?! Scientology is L. Ron Hubbard's baby; Starship Troopers was written by Robert A. Heinlein long before folks even heard about Scientology and has nothing to do with it...Dave.
What a wonderful book! Definetly better than the movie which left much to be desired. One of my favorite commentaries in Starship Troopers is Heinlein's note on crime and punishment. The explanation that punishment is suppose to be cruel and inhumane really makes one think. Afterall, is it really punishment if it is pleasant. Granted, one can go to extremes with the cruelty aspect of punishment, and that is unnecessary. I also really loved his analogy to punishing a dog and America's correction practices.

Any comments?

~snooze