Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Start early. You should be down off all of the peaks by 1:00. Afternoon T-storms above timberline are spectacular, and deadly. Keep an eye on the weather when climbing

Layers - Bring enough clothes to survive a blizzard. I have been whited out in blizzards at 14K in July. I started climbing at 4:30 and didn't get down until 9 that night. That was on Oxford and Belford. Rain coats and pants are far better than a poncho.

Don't wear cotton - cotton kills.

Boots - break 'em in.

Get some collapsible hiking poles. Pretty handy coming down and help to save your knees.

Sun screen, sun hat.

Maybe climb Sherman first - it's a one off. It will give you a feel for it. Or Elbert, it's the highest and about as difficult as Bross.

Climb on a weekday - 14ers get loved to death on the weekend

All that being said, I've seen people at 14K wearing nothing but flip-flops, shorts and a t-shirt, and only carrying a small water bottle, and they almost always seem to survive just fine.

Read "Colorado Fourteener Disasters" It's pretty interesting.
http://www.denverpost.com/2005/12/03/missing-hikers-trail-li...

V
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.