Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Started the DRIP 20 years ago.
Was concerned about setting off flags if adjusting the basis is required when it's sold. Especially since it would be adjusting shares purchased after 2012 - covered shares.

Another DRIP brokerage was requested to adjust the basis and it was correctly reported when it transferred to the consolidated brokerage house - granted it lists the shares as non-covered, but does give the adjusted cost and gain which is helpful.

I guess it's more for convenience - this request - even though it's non-covered - at the new brokerage house (VG), they will list on your account the cost basis for non-covered shares. They don't report it, but at least you aren't having to figure it all out.

So I'm hoping to put in the request for the adjustment one more time - and cross my fingers that I explain in a clear way that the cost basis should be adjusted. They certainly have been given paperwork to prove the loss of spouse.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.