Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi
4 months back my wife and i were blessed with a beautiful daughter.

we live in CA

i am thinking of starting a college savings 529 plan right away.

we have close to $ 20,000 set aside to invest in a college savings plan.

here are my questions-

1) are there any tax advantages by putting aside money from paychecks rather than use after tax money that is saved ? is there a provision similar to 401 K ?
2) are there websites that list the average cost of expenses by state or by top ranked schools adjusted for inflation ? if i know how much money will be needed in future, then i can discount it back using the annual compounding rate of lets say a Treasury bond + yield premium to arrive at how much seed money i will need to putin (if not right away)
3) i read that there are state tax benefits from CA from link below.
what are advantages or disadv in investing in CA or outside of CA ?

http://clarkhoward.com/topics/529_guide.html
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.