Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have had a traditional IRA through a "full service" broker for several years; last year I received a notice from the IRS that my contribution for the previous year was not tax deductable because I made too much....the full service broker never explained any of the rules to me. Reading the IRA related materials on has been instructive and enlightening....I'm ready to get foolish!!!!

I can't afford the tax liability if I were to convert my traditional IRA to Roth, so I want to open a Roth IRA (my income will permit $2000 per year contributions to a Roth), but my question is this: If I open the Roth IRA before April 15th, can I fund it with $4000 ($2000 for 1999 and $2000 for 2000)???

Thanks in advance for any input.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.