No. of Recommendations: 0
I checked the FAQ and looked at the board but I'm still a little unclear...

If I start a new IRA (actually a ROTH IRA) today and I fund it before April 15th with $2000 can I nominate this contribution as a 1999 contribution?

Thanks
TuJeste
Print the post Back To Top
>>If I start a new IRA (actually a ROTH IRA) today and I fund it before April 15th with $2000 can I nominate this
contribution as a 1999 contribution?<<

ONLY if you did NOT make any IRA contributions during 1999. Hope this answers your question.
Eddie
No. of Recommendations: 1
If I start a new IRA (actually a ROTH IRA) today and I fund it before April 15th with $2000 can I nominate this contribution as a 1999 contribution?

Yes, but make sure you write on the check something like "1999 Contribution". That way it is clear what year the contribution is for. You want to be able to make your 2000 contribution as well. :o)

~AlyKat

The answer is "yes", as long as you are eligible to contribute $2000 for 1999, and have not already done so.

But it's important to designate, when you apply for the IRA (i.e., open the new account), that it's intended for the year 1999 -- otherwise it will default to 2000.

BTW, you actually have until April 17 -- but don't put it off!

Hope this helps--
Phooley
If you start a new Roth before April 17th you can put
$2000 in for 1999 and another $2000 for 2000.- Matthew