No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband has finally decided to quit his job and go out on his own to do construction services. This will include remodelling, additions and new construction as well as general construction project management. He's in the process of getting his GC license and will be taking the test this month. The plan is for him to quit his job after February, which is when he is vested another 20% in his company match to his 401k, and strike out on his own.

This leaves me with all sorts of questions, and I have been perusing through this board, but I still have things unanswered. It seems to me that we will want to have some sort of corporation if only for me to be able to do the books and banking as well as for some small amount of liability question. So that sounds like I need an attorney. Is this a tax attorney? And how do I find a good one? Anyone out there got a recommendation for someone in Massachusetts in the Worcester area?

And what about an accountant? I have always done the books for our personal accounts including when we had rental property and when he was an independent contractor. The one time we used an accountant was when we sold the rental property because I wasn't quite sure how to calculate the depreciation recapture, but for what it cost considering I had provided all the data and a copy of my TurboTax return to that point, I certainly felt ripped off. So I will be doing the books for the business and would prefer not to have to use an accountant. Is that a mistake? Do I absolutely need one? What does it get me if we do the set-up with an attorney?

I guess I'm trying to figure out which professional advice I need, and which I am perfectly capable of doing, so suggestions or things to consider would really help me.

And as far as the books, do I need something like QuickBooks or can I just set up a separate account for the business in my regular Quicken? I expect he will have accounts at the various lumber yards as well as a corporate credit card. We'll also have a checking and savings account which I know I can get at the credit union. Those all seem like normal-type things to me, so I'm wondering what advantages there might be in using QuickBooks vs. just going on with Quicken like I do today.

I think I have a handle on the rest of the things to be done like liability insurance and LTD. And he's already got more than enough business lined up, so I'm not worried about him getting going.

What other things should I be considering?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.