Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Starting with this year's problem...

Get hold of a copy of Form 1040-X (Amended Individual Income Tax Return) and follow the instructions. He'll have to prepare Schedule D for the stock sales. Since he'll owe additional tax, file the 1040-X close to, but no later than, April 16. This will allow the IRS time to get the original return processed before they see the 1040-X.

He can (should) do the same for the year he cashed in the 401(k). Perhaps Phil (TMFExRo) knows whether this is necessary if the 401(k) withdrawal took place before 1997. (The standard 3 year statute of limitations has expired.)

In any case, if you get married, you don't have to worry about being audited for years before your marriage, you are not personally responsible for the errors he made before marriage.

OTOH, if you do get married, it looks like you should take responsibility for the taxes. :-)


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.