Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Canadians have killed off 42 of 45 penalties in 3 series so far!!!
Print the post Back To Top
Inconceivable.

Montreal could well win the SC, and not even make the playoffs next year. They would not have this year if it had been normal.
30 for 30 killed penalties in a row...I think that is a record - as well as no PPGs allowed in 13 or 14 straight games - which is also a record.

The Habs regular season (as I pointed out before) was wrecked with Price missing 31 games; Gallagher 20 etc. They were not the 18th best team in the NHL - they are not one of the best 2 teams in the NHL - but they have the ability to play at a very high level for a chunk of time.

Some great bounces; some good luck (every team needs that); great goaltending; and opportunistic goal scoring plus the bottom 6 playing near their best ever = successful playoff.

Cheers,

Icemann <--bewildered
Why the heck did they set it up so differently such that under usual rules teams wouldn't even have made the playoffs? I know it's due to Covid, but I don't recall what they did so differently that it really messed it up.
It's really dumb that they made it such that this year's SC has to have an * and a lot of people (everyone but the winners) will feel it doesn't count!
Why the heck did they set it up so differently such that under usual rules teams wouldn't even have made the playoffs? I know it's due to Covid, but I don't recall what they did so differently that it really messed it up.

They didn't set it up differently for different divisions. Every division had 4 teams make the playoffs. There were no wildcards - that was the only difference

Some years in the 'regular' years, the top 3 make the playoffs and then 2 wildcards. Sometimes there are teams in divisions with better records than other teams in other divisions that don't make the playoffs. I think one year the Atlantic's 3rd place team (automatic seeding) had the same points as the 6th place in the other division but made the playoffs.

It happens EVERY year and it has happened forever. Just think of the 1980s and the Norris Division or even the Smythe Division. The Leafs and Nucks made the playoffs with 57 and 58 points some years then...but a better team in the Adams didn't.

Every team plays with the same rules that every other team has to for the year. There is no 'asterix' - if it was so easy, every team would do it.

Cheers,

Icemann

P.S. I also forgot - Montreal had to play the last 25 games of the regular season in 44 nights...which included 3 round trips across the country (3-4 time zones each time???) because of how COVID forced games to be postponed.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Montreal could well win the SC, and not even make the playoffs next year.

This happens a lot actually. Maybe not the majority of the time, but often enough that it really can't be called unusual.

They would not have this year if it had been normal.

That's unknowable. True, they didn't have to play teams like Pittsburg, but they also didn't play Buffalo.
hockey is the one sport where 1 player (the goalie) can carry team on his back….

here in Buffalo back in the 90’s they were outplayed every year in the playoffs except for a guy named Dominik Hasek!!!
No. of Recommendations: 1
30 for 30 killed penalties in a row..

And Tampa had a killer power play. Rock meet hard place.