Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Quick question from a filer who is requesting that the IRS grant an extension to Jan-2014 for filing 2012 taxes. This is because I expect to qualify for the foreign income exclusion.

Before permanently moving abroad I lived in New York. Under NY rules I will need to file a part-year resident return for 2012. But NY is going to want my federal return. Thus, I can't do my NY taxes until I do my federal taxes. So the natural thing is to file an extension. But there doesn't appear to be an analogous form for NY...only an online site which doesn't fit my situation.

That said, NY's 2012 tax form has a "special condition code" for my situation. So, should I just not file in NY until 2014 (indicating said special condition code at the time)? Or, should I file a blank NY return now with the special condition code and then a completed form in 2014?

I'll probably call the NY tax authority today or tomorrow to sort this out but figured I would ping here first.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.