Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I have a question that no one can seem to answer. I am currently a resident of Georgia (ie high state taxes). My new husband (as of two months) is active military and although he is stationed in Georgia, his legal residence is Texas (ie no state taxes). We plan to move back to Texas after his enlistment is up, and I was a resident of Texas until January of this year. Can I claim Texas as my state of residence now that we are married? He is currently using his parent's address which makes me uneasy because I have never lived at that address.

We have heard some people say that since I'm working in Georgia, I have to pay state taxes, but it seems odd that I would have to have a different state of residence than my husband.

I can post this on the military board, but I wanted your opinions also.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.