Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I left a professional job in Washington, DC as of Jan/02/98 (last work day). I moved out of my Virginia residence on Jan/10/98. The final payout of the last paycheck and accrued vacation from the DC job was deposited to my bank account on Jan/13/98.

The prior employer withheld about $800 in Virginia state taxes for 1998 because I had not requested that there be no state witholding, in time to process it. I would like to have the $ refunded if it is appropriate.

Since I had left my Virginia residence prior to the receipt of the cash, is that amount of 1998 income required to be reported on the Virginia tax return?

I was intending to move to the west coast but had planned a year in between where I would live in various states across the US and see if I took a shine to any of those (a "walkabout"). All my essential belongings were packed in the car and taken with me. Such that, wherever my head lay, that was my home.

I took up residence in 5 states over the year, winding up on the west coast at the end.

The income received on Jan/13/98 was deposited in my existing Virginia bank account, via employer direct deposit, after I had left my Virginia residence but while I was "between" homes. The Virginia Bank account was closed after the deposit.

Must I report this as Virginia income?

Or, is it reasonable to file a Part Year resident (10 days) return and claim no income while a VA resident - thus filing for a refund of the 1998 withholding? The income would belong to no state under this method.

Thanks mucho for your input.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.