Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi All,

I have a question about state taxes. My husband and I live in New Hampshire (which has no state taxes) and work in Massachussetts. Both our jobs involve some amount of traveling. In year 2000, I must have traveled out of state for about 3 months and so also my husband.
I heard somewhere that in a year, if we do not work for more than a fixed number of days in a state, we do not have to pay its taxes. Is that true? If so, what is that number of days?

Even if that provision is not there, do we still have to pay Massachussetts taxes at the regular rate?

Thanks for any input on the matter.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.