Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
When filling out Maryland state tax returns, you're supposed to first fill out your Federal returns, including Schedule A if you're itemizing deductions.

I filled out my federal tax returns then started to fill out my Maryland state tax return. It turns out that I owe about $155 on state tax return.

Can I go back to my Schedule A Itemized Deductions and deduct the $155 I need to pay to Maryland state government?

I know that on Federal Schedule A, you don't have to reduce state income tax by the refund you anticipate to get.

But it says nothing if you owe your state government money.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.