Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If I have an investment property in a state other than where I reside, how does that work when it comes to paying state taxes? Live in PA, looking to buy in VA. Would income earned in VA be taxed by the state of VA, but not PA, or would there be double taxation?

Last time I did this, our where we lived didn't have a local tax, so I only paid Federal and the tax in the state the rental was in.


cross posted to real estate investing
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.