Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I just unpackaged a steak and noticed a gray area - about where the label was. Sell by date 1/4.

Sniff tested ok. So I put it in a marinade for tomorrow.

But curious, I googled a bit and I don't know anyone in the meat/grocery business, but thought this was interesting.

https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-university/seeing-red-s...

"...How Supermarkets Ensure the Reddest Beef
You might be wondering: if oxygen is needed for a steak to turn red, how come supermarket steaks in plastic wrap look the same as air-exposed steaks at your local butcher’s counter?

The answer is the type of plastic wrap used by supermarket butchers. Grocery stores and supermarkets use a special kind of plastic wrap that is filled with tiny holes. These holes are too small for liquids to pass through, but are big enough for air to get in and out. This ensures the steak is still exposed to oxygen. As a result, supermarket steaks look just as red and attractive as those at the butcher’s counter.

I don't know anything about meat grocery wrap but thought I'd share info - right or wrong.

Maybe I won't worry so much about not bright red beef.

nag
interesting that the grayish section of meat was under the label - (blocking air holes?? who knows)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.