No. of Recommendations: 1
The 1989 film Steel Magnolias is one of my all-time favorite movies. Both funny and sad. Andrew has always liked "chick flicks"... he was in touch with his feminine side long before he even discovered he had a masculine side. <LOL>

Anyway, the movie has been remade -- as well as updated for 2012 -- with an all-African-American cast.

It's airing on Lifetime this coming Sunday evening, and airing again Monday evening, for anyone else here who might be interested. I, for one, can't wait!

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_21673478/barney-...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I, for one, can't wait!

I think I'll wait for the video game.

--fleg
... the movie has been remade -- as well as updated for 2012...

Hmmm, I might watch out of curiosity, most likely not.

I didn't say if they filmed in Natchitoches (Knack-i-tush, for you cajun impaired) like the original.

The original had too many local background stories that made things interesting and funny. One girl from my medical school was a bridesmaid. The local sheriff had a bit part in the funeral and he was under investigation for male prostitution. The real Shelby was a nurse here in town that my mom had worked with (tons of stories there). One of my attendings in medical school did the kidney transplants (there was really 2, maybe 3, not the 1 in the film). Natchitoches really does have a huge Christmas festival every year. For filming that redecorated the town and did much of the shooting in the summer. Had to laugh at all the actors in sweaters, etc., knowing they were dieing from the heat and humidity.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 0
I didn't say if they filmed in Natchitoches

That sounds like something you eat with queso.
I didn't say if they filmed in Natchitoches

That sounds like something you eat with queso.

Obviously you've never had a Natchitoches meat pie. I feel sorry for you unclean masses.

Oh, and don't forget the Cane River Pie. An ooey-gooey conglomeration of vanilla cake, chocolate fudge syrup, and whipped cream.

JLC
Cane River Pie. An ooey-gooey conglomeration of vanilla cake, chocolate fudge syrup, and whipped cream.

That explains the 8-inch needles you need to deliver anesthesia to patients' spinal canals.

--fleg
Steel Magnolia? Isn't that the movie with Richard Gere and Debra Winger in the military and there was that really mean drill Sargent but it turns out that he really wasn't that big of a meany? <g>
Steel Magnolia? Isn't that the movie with Richard Gere and Debra Winger in the military and there was that really mean drill Sargent but it turns out that he really wasn't that big of a meany? <g>

One interesting take on drill sergeants and equivalent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4XkP-wT3xI
"Oh, and don't forget the Cane River Pie. An ooey-gooey conglomeration of vanilla cake, chocolate fudge syrup, and whipped cream." - JLC

Yum! I would so eat that! By the way I'll be in Knoxville in a couple of weeks. My wife has a meeting there. I'm going to be driving around to some close by Farmer's Co-Ops looking for Taktic to treat the mites on my brother's bees. Also plan on going to McKay's Used Bookstore and probably eat at Mandarin House Chinese Buffet while we are there.

Art
AOLF, you're thinking "An Officer and a Gentleman" with Gere and Winger--one of my alltime faves. I think I've seen it ten times (+/-).
Oh, and don't forget the Cane River Pie. An ooey-gooey conglomeration of vanilla cake, chocolate fudge syrup, and whipped cream.

My blood sugar shot up 50 points just from reading that.