Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Nothing much to say this time around, just a quick posting of my current results using the MFI strategy. One thing I notice though is that it seems like my returns have somewhat ‘stalled’ in the past couple of years. When I look at the value of my MFI portfolio and those of the tracking portfolios they seem ‘flat’ since roughly mid-2014.

The returns of my portfolio versus those of several Russell indexes through 30-Jun-2016 are as follows:

Portfolio Inception Date IRR R3000 R2000
Real Money 02-Feb-2006 +10.24% +7.07 +5.84

The following table details performance (IRR) over various time frames through 30-Jun-2016:

Portfolio 7 year 5 year 3 year 1 year
Real Money +17.12 +14.05 +16.64 -1.54
R3000 +14.95 +11.60 +11.13 +2.14
R2000 +13.94 +8.35 +7.09 -6.73

I also have several tracking portfolios that I maintain on Marketocracy as additional 'data points'. These were started on various dates using free data sources available from the internet. These portfolios are rebalanced annually near the date of inception with a small component left as cash to 'pay' expenses. Only portfolios with at least one year of history are included. The annualized returns of these portfolios versus those of several Russell indexes through 30-Jun-2016 are as follows:

Portfolio Inception Date IRR R3000 R2000
MFI 20-Mar-2006 +5.12 +6.94 +5.76
MG1 08-Jan-2012 +8.98 +13.92 +11.62

regards,
j

Notes:

R3000 and R2000 are the internal rates of return for the Russell3000® and the Russell 2000® Indexes, respectively, over the given time period. http://indexcalculator.russell.com/

My self-managed account consists of four groups of 10 stocks each that were purchased and spaced out about 3 months apart. The picks are from the MFI website and selected from the top 50 and then run through a list randomizer. The first 10 on the list that I did not previously own are selected for the next cycle. They are rebalanced/shuffled/changed out on their respective anniversaries. I do not continue hold stocks that are still on the list or buy the same stock that is held in the other three cycles.

Marketocracy fund notes:
Only the MFI portfolio uses actual magic formula stocks picked from the website. The MG1 portfolio consists of the 30 highest ranked stocks from M.Gerda who posts about MFI on his blog.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.