Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
New estimates from a Norwegian research project show meeting targets for minimizing global warming may be more achievable than previously thought.

After the planet’s average surface temperature rose through the 1990s, the increase has almost leveled off at the level of 2000, while ocean water temperature has also stabilized, the Research Council of Norway said in a statement on its website.

“The Earth’s mean temperature rose sharply during the 1990s,” said Terje Berntsen, a professor at the University of Oslo who worked on the study. “This may have caused us to overestimate climate sensitivity.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-27/norway-data-shows-e...

In other words, all their models are so far off and all the rants and raves about boiling planets are ....just that...

Clueless is the word that comes to mind....alarmists...

t
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
http://www.physicstutorials.org/home/heat-temperature-and-th...

The ice caps are melting.

Clueless is the most polite word I might use for those who wish to deny that the climate is changing.

(Not saying the "why" is accurate, or even if it is, that the proscribed actions are useful.)

Cheers
Qazulight
No. of Recommendations: 3
"The ice caps are melting.
"

Yes...10000 years ago they covered NYC with a mile deep of ice.

Isn't it great they are melting back in the roghly 18000 years between ice ages?

t.
No. of Recommendations: 2
"The ice caps are melting.
"

Yes...10000 years ago they covered NYC with a mile deep of ice.

Isn't it great they are melting back in the roghly 18000 years between ice ages?

Still clueless I see.

As long as there is any ice in the glass, the temp stays near freezing.

As long as there are polar ice caps there will be stabilization. When there are no more polar ice caps, the stabilization will cease. Additionally, long before all the ice melts in Greenland and Antarctica we will have made significant adjustments as a population.

In the mean time, when we lose summer ice at the end of the summer we can expect some changes. This could mean much hotter and violent end of summer, beginning of fall times and milder winters. My expectation is that the Northern Hemisphere will get a net gain in usable land.

Finally, and this is beyond my knowledge and is just a guess, it would seem that the ice in the Arctic ocean would have a bigger heat sink effect than the ice on Antarctica. If that is the case, and that is a big if, then we can expect to see significant warming starting up again in one or two years.

This may not be a bad thing,( and again, this is way beyond my knowledge and is simply extrapolation for high school science,) the Arctic Ocean will absorb a lot of cold in the winter and release it in the summer during the phase change from seawater to ice, thus tempering the extremes in the weather from winter to summer, at least in some areas of the Northern Hemisphere. However, even at my boldest I would not hazard a guess as to where the smoothing out effects might be. My experience so far has been that the changes that have taken place have been counter intuitive.

Cheers
Qazulight (Yes in fact I DO argue with fence posts!)