Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I still am very confused over how to get funds out of my IRA prior to 59.5.

Can someone show me the math given the following:
Age 57, IRA of $100,000, and assumed interest rate of 8.0 % (Is this reasonable and will the IRS accept it?)

Table V shows the multiple for age 57 of 26.8.

And then some questions:
1) When does the "age" change, on the birthday or after a half year?

2) I have three separate IRA accounts; can I just withdraw from one of them and leave the others until I reach 59.5?

3) Is the amount calculated above a mimimum, maximum or the precise amount that I can withdraw. I wouldn't mind drawing one of the IRA's down to zero whilst the other two happily grow in Foolish style!

4)The real issue is that while there is enough in the three IRA's to support me, I need to get at some of that to live now at 57. So are there any other ways that I can get at those funds without penalty (build a primary residence, college funding, etc??)

My thanks to all

JWS
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.