Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
TCM is a confusing issue with me. Rarely do you find a profitable company these days that is planning on going in the red (really red).

My main concern is that I don't really know much about the fiber optic business. I'm going down to the library do do some research tomorrow and if I find any relevant info I will post it.

But, to be completely honest, and I hate to admit it, but I was hoping for a little help from other fools.

-WHat kind of money could this grandiose global network be making in the future (10 years)? Are we talking Cisco money here? More?

-Who would be the customers? Telecom, Governments, Everybody? ( Off topic! -- Has anyone seen Demolition Man? The Stalone movie with depictions of the futue. It has been awhile but, I remember a fairly reasonable assesment of future networked computers on every street corner, in cars, in every room, etc. Wouldn't this be global? Last time I was in France (February), sans-laptop, I had to pay $15 an hour to use a public computer joint to e-mail friends back home, and the internet connection was slower than Dan Marino. Would TCM take care of this type of annoyance?)

-And lastly How significant is Global Crossing going to be as a competetor? They seem to have a pretty good head start. Forgetting about the lawsuit which sounds baseless in my opinion, are they a "first mover"? Even so wouldn't TCM have a inherent advantage because they have the capability to make their own cable. (Remember vertical integration from college business courses, i.e. - Standard Oil and US Steel?)

Just a few questions to ponder over before making a personally significant investment in TCM.

ABC
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.