Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
TCM is a confusing issue with me. Rarely do you find a profitable company these days that is planning on going in the red (really red).

My main concern is that I don't really know much about the fiber optic business. I'm going down to the library do do some research tomorrow and if I find any relevant info I will post it.

But, to be completely honest, and I hate to admit it, but I was hoping for a little help from other fools.

-WHat kind of money could this grandiose global network be making in the future (10 years)? Are we talking Cisco money here? More?

-Who would be the customers? Telecom, Governments, Everybody? ( Off topic! -- Has anyone seen Demolition Man? The Stalone movie with depictions of the futue. It has been awhile but, I remember a fairly reasonable assesment of future networked computers on every street corner, in cars, in every room, etc. Wouldn't this be global? Last time I was in France (February), sans-laptop, I had to pay $15 an hour to use a public computer joint to e-mail friends back home, and the internet connection was slower than Dan Marino. Would TCM take care of this type of annoyance?)

-And lastly How significant is Global Crossing going to be as a competetor? They seem to have a pretty good head start. Forgetting about the lawsuit which sounds baseless in my opinion, are they a "first mover"? Even so wouldn't TCM have a inherent advantage because they have the capability to make their own cable. (Remember vertical integration from college business courses, i.e. - Standard Oil and US Steel?)

Just a few questions to ponder over before making a personally significant investment in TCM.

ABC
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
ABC,

Here is my opinion on this. I currently am invested in a similair yet different fiber optic company that will eventually be a competitor with TCM...... QWEST. QWEST is a fiber optic broadband company that has been expanding into the general telecom market ( Ie; Cellular, ISP, and now local via the former USW network. But until 1998, Q was really exactly what TCM is planning on being but landbased instead of transcontinental.

The general synopsis of the broadband market is that the transfer of data in the future (ie: movies and music via the internet, advanced internet graphics etc. not to mention business related needs) will eat all the transmission capacity availble. That is why Q has been laying thick OC-192 fiber across the country. Level 3, Williams Communications, GBLX and others are also building out optic networks to provide the broadband needed. The theory is that the needs will be so great that these broadband networks can't help but make moneyt due to the amount of info passing through.

But others think that there will be a glut of broadband on the market while the world figures out how to use it. Broadband is already becoming more of a commodity too, with LD carriers charging less and less a minute. Competition may force broadband to be sold a given price and everyone gets the same amount.

As a holder of Q, which was solely a broadband company that bought a LD company, started a Internet related division, and now is local, cellular, you name it. I wonder how TCM will evolve. GBLX had been doing alot of the same things too (until recently), they bought out Frontiers LD system, and went after USW.

There is alot of consolidation in the communications market these days. No doubt there will be lots of money to be made in the telecom arena, but will it be the sole broadband carriers? I'm waiting to see.

PK

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

Paul, pardon the late reply to your post. I have been looking for a 'horizontal telecom play'. Been looking at GX and LVLT. Both have appeal. I would love to buy TCM as a TYC holder. I am familiar with the good story DK has given us at TYC.

I think your post really sums up the state of things quite well.

Time to ponder TCM a bit more,

Chuck