Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place- I apologize if I'm lost

I've been reading articles that refer to an average yearly return of about 7%, and I'm not sure how they're calculated. I started my Roth IRA in April '05 with $3000. If I sold all my stocks today, I'd have (after fees) $3700. To find whether I've beaten the stock market, do I simply divide $3,000 into $3,700 for an 8.11% return?

I just read a post from someone who is getting a 1.26% return from a credit union. I understand that there is increased risk in stocks, but I essentially picked my four stocks out of a hat (I still don't know how to interpret financial statements) and I sold two of them at the wrong time (missing out on $400 in profit from one, and $600 for the other)

Was I blindly lucky(even with my poor timing), am I doing the math wrong, or is there something I don't understand?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.