Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was wondering if I could contribute stock instead of cash to a Roth. In my company I can buy stock at a discounted price with after tax money. Instead of cashing this out, paying taxes on the gains and then making the contribution to my Roth, I was wondering if I could just contribute the stock to the Roth and then sell it inside my Roth and advoid the tax on the gains. If I can do this, How do I calculate the amount that goes towards the $2000 max per year limit. Is it the market value of the stock at the date it enters my Roth ??? Thanks in advance....John
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.