Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Capital gains loss rules our wonderful government imposed on us: IRS says $3000/yr max. So, if you lose $9000 one year, you're allowed to deduct it over 3 yrs. If you lose $90k then... move to Belize.

I have been unable to find information on whether this rule is different if you own an LLC or Inc or any other type of entity. Anyone know?

It would be absurd for a Bank or investment company to lose Billions of Dollars one year and make a few millions the next, and yet, still have to pay the tax for the new year income.

I can see how the IRS is pushing around the little guy (i.e. all of us small time investors) but to think that Wall Street hasn't lobbied against this rule being applicable to them sounds impossible. They already don't pay the self employment tax and they can claim long term capital gains on regular employment as money managers (oh, and these rules apply to us to, so Thank you Wall Street).

Funny how when you make money IRS wants you to pay the tax "Right Now" but when they owe you money they say "We'll pay you later".
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.