Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I just wanted to pass on some information to help others avoid making the same mistake that I did. I recently bought one share of Yahoo before its recent split. I thought that splits were given to any shareholder of record the day prior to the split. However, if appears that some companies, one of which was Yahoo, have a date of record (just like dividend dates of record) for splits. This means that you have to own the stock "X" date prior to the split (2-4 weeks prior?) in order to receive the split. Otherwise you are left out in the cold. I thought that I had an adequate understanding of the split from reading a press release on it. However, there was no mention of a date of record in the press release. My advise is that anyone considering purchasing a stock scheduled to split visit that company's investor relations section on the company's web site to see if there is a date of record.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.