Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hopefully this is a simple question to somebody. I have 3 different "buys" of the same stock. Two of them are over a year old and one of them was bought only 10 months ago. The stock has wobbled around and I would like to sell all of the shares.

3000 shares I bought and are now at a profit of $5800
200 shares are at a loss of $4500
100 shares (the ones that are only 10 months old) are at a slight loss of $1800.
(all of these are approximate...)

When I claim them on my taxes, are they all claimed individually? (each tax lot?) Or, since they are the same stock and I will sell them all at the same time, are they entered on my taxes as one big sale and I just report the slight loss as one number? Or does it matter, because the amount of the loss is the same either way... I think the shares that are less than 10 months old are treated differently... am I right? Thanks guys.

Footsox
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.