Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
CAG Cape Range Wireless
Check out their announcements for the last 3 weeks.Especially the last 2 days.
I bought at 36 cents, currently 58 cents, don't plan on selling yet. This looks good long term.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Stock Tips

I know Barcoo has been a contributor to this Board for a lot longer than me. However, posting 1095 needs a response.
To use this message board as a tipping post is very rude. Doubly so when the whole rationale behind the Motley Fool is that we are all competent to manage our money provided we do the appropriate homework and take the right long term strategy to ride through the waves.
Now Cape Range (CAG) could double tomorrow. It could also halve. It last made a profit (equal to 0.9 cents per share) in 1991. It barely has enough cash to buy port and cigars for the directors who themselves have a long track record in incompetence.
Like many other doubtful companies on the ASX, it appears its sole asset is its listing. Like the others,it is now attempting to re-invent itself with some IT-related purpose to breathe new life into its share price, pull in some new cash from shareholders, and extend its life (and those of the directors) for another 10 years. (How many of these companies are there in W.A.?).
CAG epitomises everything Fools are trying to avoid. Stock tips should be sought in the pub, not on the Motley Fool. Even if it triples next week, so what? Will you know how to keep the profits from the next tip?
Let's make a rule for ourselves. Unless we are prepared to share real information and ideas based on our own homework, (particularly for companies under $1), and without a financial interest in talking them up, let's keep our stock tips off the Motley Fool boards.
No. of Recommendations: 1

sambd
To use this message board as a tipping post is very rude.

Sorry Sambd, but I do not agree with you. I for one welcome a stocktip from a regular poster. It is nicer of course when it comes with an explanation why it's an interesting stock and some links. I've "discovered" some of my best winners that way. Nobody in his right mind will buy a stock just because of the tip, of course you'll do your own DD.

I'm trying to follow several markets. There are so many stocks, it takes a lot of time to find a gem by screening and following the news. Getting a lead can be helpful. I had a look at CAG. Won't jump in right away, but will follow it for a while. Thanks Barcoo.

eveline
Sorry, Sambd, but I don't agree with you either.

I follow this Board because I love Oz. Three vacations (holidays) there left me wanting more and I then spent four months "living" in Sydney.

I follow a lot of the TMF Boards and can only say that I am grateful - I repeat, grateful - for any tips I get or glean from the various posters. It is all a matter of DYODD. (Do Your Own Due Dilligence.) I would NEVER invest in a stock merely because someone posted about it. But a "lead", so to speak, is something to be treasured.

So - thank you, Barcoo. And I will do my own DD. I suggest that everyone else do the same.

Christina, a Yank living in the Big Apple who would rather be living in Sydney (after the Olympics).
I'll have what there having!

;O)

Only because used to tip a fair bit - BUT Barcoo in future email us all before the initial leg on the 'tour de jour'!

Hat missing out on the best leg!
Must reply to sambd.
Appreciate your input but believe you opinion is totally wrong.
What is the purpose of a shares forum if its not to exchange opinions about shares. If we don't do that the forum ceases to exist.
It appears as though you didn't read the company announcements that I mentioned or you would not have said "all they have is their listing."
The right long term strategy should have a place for more speculative shares eg 5%.Better a good speculative one than a dud.
I didn't offer any opinions of where the company was going, I left it completely up to the readers own due diligence. I completely disclosed my own position ie buy price and attitude to current price. The only thing I didn't disclose was my sell price. Seeing as you say
"Even if it triples next week, so what? Will you know how to keep the profits from the next tip?" I will say if it triples next week I would sell a two thirds of my holding so that I get my original stake back,I pay my tax, take a bit of profit and leave some gravy in the market.
You slur my "personal interest in talking them up"- I wonder if you would be happier if I talked up a share I wasn't prepared to buy myself.
I disagree with you that stock tips should be sought in the pub.
You can make a rule for yourself if you like but excuse me if I go by a different set of rules to you.
At least it generated some posts, I was worried the forum was dieing.
Thank you to the other posters for supporting me.
Sorry to demiller1 about you missing the first leg but didn't want to recommend the stock before I'd read the most recent announcement. It is this announcement on the 10th which prompted me to post. They mentioned this announcement when getting an ASX query on the 4th.
I didn't want to be accused of ramping, shouldn't have worried as I was accused anyway.
I guess I should have posted earlier and then let you make up your own mind.
Barcoo
No. of Recommendations: 1
Stock Tips

I did not intend to slur Barcoo.
He was honest enough to disclose his/her interest.
However, even though I might be in the minority, I do not believe this is the appropriate place to tip shares. If you lay out your reasoning and share your research (knowledge), fair enough. What I think undermines this whole message board is "climb onto XYZ,it's already up to 59c and I'm holding for a $1.10."
You'll note Motley Fool doesn't even buy shares for their portfolios without disclosing their reasoning and their investment decision beforehand.
Aren't we bound, to some extent, to practise the same ethics on their board ?
Hehehehee just email me... what is ramping anyway? The number of investors that read and participate are small and they could have been the maximum number that were in earshot at Rose O'Gradys!
I'm with sambd on this one... I think the educational value of Barcoo's original message on this topic was fairly low, as the post included no evidence to support the enthusiasm. (Does anyone remember "TECHDATA" and "TECHDRAFT" spouting about Vision Global a few months back? Where's VIZG now?)

I see that Barcoo since posted the press releases, so that's a start, but I'd be interested to something more substantial than the company's own press release.

Let's remember that the Fool (and we Fools) are to "***Educate***, Amuse and Enrich". Reading Barcoo's original post and sambd's reply, I found that latter much more informative, and hence I'd be inclined to avoid it, though as others have pointed we all need to do our own due diligence.

Fool on...

Richard,

You haven't been around since September last year. Did you follow the board? Barcoo is a regular poster here and did not fall out of the sky, hyping one stock like techdata/draft. Always take into account whom the tip comes from and if the source has credibility, start your own DD. I never follow a lead from a first post or from sb who never talks about anything else or from sb who posts the same post on several boards.

eveline

To Richard Murnane
It is not a company press release it is totally independant research.
It is rumoured that AFR are doing an article on CAG soon so keep an eye out if you are interested.

My shares in Australia are doing well lately, I decided I can afford another speculative one. Just bought CAG, thanks for the tip Barcoo (I promise I won't blame you if it doesn't work out the way we hope). Please post any articles on Cape Range Wireless or associates any of you come accross.

eveline
Lems (eveline) wrote:

You haven't been around since September last year. Did you follow the board? Barcoo is a regular poster here and did not fall out of the sky, hyping one stock like techdata/draft. Always take into account whom the tip comes from and if the source has credibility, start your own DD.

My apologies if I appeared to tar Barcoo with the same brsh as techdata/draft - that wasn't my intention! I was commenting only on the text of the message itself, not on the poster (I have in fact been perusing several boards on and off for the last year; I don't read every message, so I wouldn't necessarily be familiar with everyone's track record.)

Barcoo's original message said only this: CAG Cape Range Wireless
Check out their announcements for the last 3 weeks.Especially the last 2 days.
I bought at 36 cents, currently 58 cents, don't plan on selling yet. This looks good long term.

Nothing in it tells me specifically what might make CAG a good long term bet - that's all I was saying. Compare this with the level of detail in, say, demiller1's recent posting on Normandy.

Anyway, I meant no slur on Barcoo. As several have pointed out, we still need to do our own DD. Hope CAG works out for you eveline!

Fool on...
Richard
what did I do wrong this time?

;O)
Some support for CAG:-

InvestorWeb rates CAG as one of the preferred stocks in the emerging telecommunications market. We believe that the development and deployment of its IPMA network through its subsidiary Dunfold will drive this stock in the long term.

Full story is at:
http://www.investorweb.com.au/MB_story_details.asp?ItemNumber=518