No. of Recommendations: 0
Question. How do you locate a stock transfer agent? (Is it possible to bypass a broker?) I have a very small quantity of stock that was given to me, however, it's not yet in my name. I contacted the stock headquarters for info how to transfer the stock to my name & they gave me the name & address for the American Stock Transfer & Trust Co. in NY, NY. I got their number from information, however every time I call to make sure that the paperwork has been filled out correctly for the transfer process, the phone rings & rings & rings and nobody answers.

So, the problem is that the person who gave me the stock was holding onto the stock certificates themselves. They didn't have them in a security deposit box & they didn't leave them with a broker -- not even like a CHarles Schwab group. I was instructed by the stock hq (Mirage Resorts Industries) to get a signature of guarantee of the original owner & my signature, then have the original owner write a letter to a stock transfer agent saying that they were giving me the stock so please cancel out the certificates in the original owner's name & reissue them in my name. I was going to send all this off to American Stock Transfer & Trust, but since I can't verify by phone that everything's been done correctly, I'm hesitant to send the stock certificates.

So, that's why I'm asking where I can find a listing of transfer agents. Is there a book? Is there a site? Is there... something?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.