Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
We've got a short section (about 8') of 6' tall fence with a fairly heavy gate that runs between the back of our house and the garage. The 4x4 post that the gate hangs on has gone all wobbly. It appears that when the posts were sunk (before my time, and I've been here 33 years), they went straight into the ground, with no concrete around them. I say that because I drove a steel rod about 2' into the ground next to the post to reduce the wobble, and it went right in with no resistance.

I plan to dig around the post and see if it's rotten and needs to be replaced (probably), or whether I can get away with just pouring some concrete into the hole. But to access the post, I first need to disassemble the fence, alas. The bottom and middle 2x4 runners are toenailed into the posts, and the top runner sits on top of the posts, nailed down into them.

Here's my question. I've been thinking that when I reassemble the fence, I'd attach the bottom and middle runners (and maybe the top one, too) with angle braces and screws rather than toenail them. My thinking is that this would be stronger and would also enable easier disassembly if I ever needed to get the fence out of the way for some reason (e.g., to get large equipment in). What do you think?

I researched this a bit and see that Simpson makes 2.75" wide 90-degree angle braces and hex-head self-tapping screws that look ideal for what I have in mind. Anyone ever used them?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.