No. of Recommendations: 0
Quill,

Signed up for the EXTRA version for 6 months using the 10 day free trial starting today.

This site has an awful lot of high tech stuff. Somewhat intimidating to say the least.

Could you please point me to the must use and know sections in order to get started. I will need help in writing my first scan for stocks that will be bullish for my 20/200 four panel approach plus 13/50, and WF.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help in navigating this website.

Thanks.

Mike
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 8
Mike,

Let's have some fun and learn as we go.

Stockcharts has lots and lots of information for all kinds of traders, investors. At times, there will be information over your head when seeing the information for the first time.

Note ! there will be names of files or charts I name, however, you can change them to yours.

The first thing we are going to build is one or two chart portfolios of your favourite stocks.

First one, build with at least 10 stocks for now and then we will be adding a few more symbols.

Second one, build with at east 10 ETF (exchange traded funds) for now then we will be adding a few more symbols for training.

Next, we will need at least 3 charts to be used when viewing a portfolio. The first should be chosen as the default chart when viewing the portfolio lists. The other two will be used to be viewed with a click of the tab button on the chart (left side near the top just under the word refresh.

http://stockcharts.com/articles/step_by_step/2014/04/how-do-...

Second Tab.....http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=ACAT - set this chart as the default. Give it a name - Mine was Sampler II
First Tab......http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=O&p=D&yr=0&mn=4... Give it a name - Sampler I
Third Tab......http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=ADP&id=p21259415924&... Give it a name - Sampler III

- - - - - - - - -

Next, we will be building some portfolios

http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:scann... kruz at your leisure.

A. 13 ema over 50 ema.
B. 20 ema over 200 ema.
C. CCI Bullish (crossing above 0)
D. CCI Bullish (crossing above -100)
E. Long MACD 12 26 Line xover MACD 12 26 Signal

Let's get started to setup your stock/etf portfolios

Step 1: Open a web browser window and go to StockCharts.com, then click on the Members tab at the top of the page.

Step 2: If you are not already logged in, enter your login information. After successfully logging in, go to "Your chart lists"

http://stockcharts.com/docs/doku.php?id=chartlists peruse at your leisure to get acclimated.

Step 3: we are going to create personal portfolios.

Step 3a: click on "Create a New List" at the very bottom.

a widow pops up near the top and fill out a name for the stocks. How about Mikes Stocks 101, then click OK

next appears a worksheet to be filled out.

at the top where it says "view my" should same the name of your new portfolio in edit mode. click on the name you should see other portfolios.

You can enter ticker symbols in the "Add Symbols" area below

Look for "Many". In this line, we will be adding stocks /efts.

let's add the first 10 stocks. type in the ticker symbol followed by a comma (,) add the next ticker symbol followed by a comma (,). If you hit the enter key by accident, well you will have to start all over again.
once the list of stocks/etf's are complete click on the "Add Many" box

a new page appears showing you all the ticker symbols you inserted in the "Many" line.

you do not want to hit the "make public" , "send to a friend" tabs.

Now let's create a new list for your ETF's with at least 10 ETF's.

Let's edit the "Mikes Stocks 101"

click on "your chart lists"
scroll down until you find the portfolio
click on it where it says "summary edit"
portfolio appears
click on "edit list"
Find the "many" line. let's add 10 more stocks then click on "Add Many"
click on Members at the top go get back to square one.

- - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

Next, we are going to create a few scanning tools that are used daily.

Step 1: Open a web browser window and go to StockCharts.com, then click on the Members tab at the top of the page.

Step 2: If you are not already logged in, enter your login information. After successfully logging in, go to "Advanced Scan Workbench"

Step 3: drop down to the Scan Criteria space:

Step 4: remove the data shown

Step 5: Insert the following copy and paste.

[type = stock] AND [country = US] AND [Daily EMA(20,Daily Volume) > 500000]
//and [SCTR > 90]
and [Daily EMA(20,Daily Close) > 10] AND [Daily CCI(14) crosses 0]

the 500000 is the volume, the 10 is the dollar or more. You can change the numbers if you wish and make another pass. For testing the new numbers you don't have to save it.

First thing to do is click on the "Check Syntax" tab to see if there are no errors.

if it passes, click on "Run Scan" tab - found 145 stocks.

for a tighter to the vest search, remove the "//" in the beginning of the second line down and rerun the Run Scan. found only 5 stocks.

put back the "//" in front of the second line down.

Now we are going to "Save As" and type in the name you want the scan to be. Since I have over 99/200 scanning tools, I save them in blocks of 10.

the name given to the above was : Scan - CCI Bullish (crossing above 0)

Let's move on to the next to the next scan to be used:

[type = stock] AND [country = US]

//and [SCTR > 90]

and [Daily EMA(5,Daily Volume) > 500000] AND [Daily EMA(20,Daily Close) > 10] AND [Daily CCI(14) crosses -100]

click on "check syntax" tab - if ok, click on the "Run Scan"

when done, go to the top and click on Stock Scans - Members to remove the scan results and start all over with the next scan. right click and then close tab.

save as Scan 11A - CCI Bullish (crossing above -100)

- - - - - - - - - -

Bullish 13/50 crossover - copy and paste the following:

[type = stock] AND [country = US]and [today's ema(13,close) > today's ema(50,close)] and [yesterday's ema(13,close) <= yesterday's ema(50,close)]

//and [SCTR > 90]

- - - - --- - - - - - - -

Scan 18-AAA Long MACD 12 26 Line xover MACD 12 26 Signal - copy and paste the following:

[type = stock] AND [COUNTRY = US]
//and [SCTR > 90]
and [MACD Line(12,26,18) crosses MACD Signal (12,26,18)]
AND [Daily Volume > 500000]
AND [Daily Close > 10]

- - - - - - - - -

Scan 60 - 20 ema price crossover Up - copy and paste the following:

[type = stock] AND [COUNTRY = US]
//and [SCTR > 90]
AND [Daily Volume > 500000]
AND [Daily Close > 10]
and[Yesterdays close <= Yesterdays EMA(20)]
and [Todays close > Todays EMA(20)]

- - - - - - - - -

one last trick in looking for the above but not the whole stock market just a single stock / etf portfolio

drop down to the Scan Builder

find Chart lists:

then click on choose:

find "Mikes Stocks 101" then click the Insert tab to the right. click on the "Run Scan" tab. If none was found which usually happens because there is none to be found. Just move on to another portfolio.

what the above does is to scan only the portfolio with any of the above scanning tools.

Mike, take your time, go slow and get acclimated to the buttons and commands.

Best of luck in the journey.

Quillnpenn - earning a living as a Professional Swing Trader.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Quill,

WOW!!!

Great stuff. I am indebted to you for setting forth a protocol in my first walk thru at Stockchart.

This may take me some time to get right. There are some days that I must be away from the computer. I look forward to learning the ins and outs of Stockcharts and Swing trading per the master.

It is most gracious of you to share your time and knowledge with others. Truly a great attribute.

The journey begins.

Mike
Mike,

Kewl beans

Quillnpenn - "In tribute to all who seek to record their ideas and share them with others"

https://www.crystal-fox.com/index.cfm/Inkwell_and_Quill_Pen_...
Quill,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up. Great information.

Gigi
No. of Recommendations: 1
Quill,

Had an opportunity in the afternoon to get on the computer and play at Stockchart.

Followed your protocol and things went smoothly. All the scans were transferred.

Question. Why do the scans come back with the default style chart i.e., 250/200 MA, RSI 14, and MACD 12,26,9 instead of the ema 20/200, CCI 14 and the MACD 12,26,18?

Also when you remove "//" and the list "tightens up" I realize that the number of stocks decreases but by what metric? Could you shed some light here?

Is it possible to combine the scans to produce a list of stocks that are at the confluence of Price line at or just below the 20 ema, CCI 14 crossing the zero line or moving off -100, and the MACD line crossing the signal line? I know I am missing something here.

Is there a method to whittle down the stocks produced from the scans down to a select few? Do you use some additional filter to arrive at the stocks you finally choose to invest in?

Sorry for the long and probably difficult questions. Any help here is welcomed.

Mike
No. of Recommendations: 2
Mike,

You did indeed asked some tough questions.

Peruse the following with respect to the StockCharts Technical Rank (SCTR). Prefer 90 and above.

http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?st=%2B%5Bsctr%2B%3E%2...

whittle down the stocks produced from the scans as explained before, you have to raise the volume amount and the dollar amount and the SCTR to 95-99 (start with 95, if still to big, try 96 etc.)to make the list appear smaller.

Another scan to use
- - - - - - - - -
Scan 19 C - 20/200 EMA Bullish crossover

[type = stock] AND [country = US] AND [Daily EMA(5,Daily Volume) > 500000]
//and [SCTR > 90]
AND [Daily EMA(20,Daily Close) > 10] AND [Daily EMA(20,Daily Close) crosses Daily EMA(200,Daily Close)]

- -- - - - - - -

Did you click on the PLUS sign (+) as shown in the tutorial?

I believe you didn't insert the 3 charts that you want to use. The result was the standard stockcharts default chart.

It has been over 5 years since I used the chart setup and the Stockcharts have a piss poor setup procedure that was written by programmers and not the average person. If I can re-figure it out, I'll write it down with paper and pencil.

I am not a programmer by any means and know only enough to get by. As far as your request to combine the scans, I wouldn't know how to do it.

Quill -
Quill,

Do you use price labels as buy/sell signals or for what purpose?

Thanks!

Andy
Andy,

Good question.

Yes, when applied to the Simon Sez technique only. Otherwise, they are just background information that traders/investors see but don't use them and sometimes don't know what to do with them.

Also, for some of us, it is a sign to say "be advised that the stock is about to fall or rise."

The Label or Flags are posted on the TOS charts. 99% of the time we react to Buy or Sell signal buying or selling.

If they are in your way, you can edit them out at the bottom of the chart where it says Price Labels and uncheck the box.

"The Price Labels checkbox adds data labels at significant peaks and troughs on the chart that tell you the high and low price data for each of those points."

If done, don't forget to save the chart.

Quill -

The following was written back in 2000 Mailbag.

Chip Anderson writes after a question was asked about Labels

Q: The Price Labels that appear on your charts seem to be one day late for buying signals. Can you move them up one day please?

A: First off -- do NOT use Price Labels as trading signals. They are not intended for that purpose.

The Price Labels are based on a calculation that looks "ahead" in time. They are similar to the Zig Zag indicator in that regard. While it looks like they have given good signals in the past, that is because we "cheat" and look into the future when deciding where to draw them. These are qualities that rule price labels and the Zig Zag out for use in a buy/sell trading system. Price Labels are provided to give you the exact values at which major reversals occurred so you don't need to look those values up in a data table somewhere.

- Chip Anderson

Using Zig Zag.
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=BOIL&p=D&yr=0&m...

More noise on a chart that I don't use.
Quill,

Thanks, I had read that from Chip A and wondered how you use them. Can they be used by themselves as buy/ sell signals for Simon Sez

andy
Andy,

Yes, when applied to the Simon Sez technique only.

Quill-

re: message # 2802
The last couple of weeks I have played Simon Sez with part of my portfolio.

Simon told me to sell MA, MSFT and SHW. Then there were quite few inverse ETF's flashing buy so I bought 2. I bought SQQQ and FAZ.

I almost immediately thought Simon must be drunk but I decided to listen and sat on my hands. The stocks I sold went up from sell point and the buys went down. Then the magic happened.

By selling when he told me too I locked in some nice profits. The buys are rocking on. Simon may sell those Monday but till Simon says otherwise I am riding the train.

Gigi
Gigi,

Not meaning to beat this to death....but you sold and bought based on red/green bars and/or the price flags?

Thanks !

Andy
You're not beating to death. I always have lots of questions too!

I bought and sold based on Simon Sez price flags.

I am doing some back testing on various methods and will be sure to let you know those results too. Let me know if you have a stock/etf that you would like me to include.

What I have noticed about Simon is he will flash a buy or sell signal in the 9:50-10 am range that Quill says to use and then it may disappear after that. It's based on that narrow window of opening price movement.

Gigi
Gigi,

thanks!

BEAT, DDD, two that I have been trading

looking forward to your posts

andy
What I have noticed about Simon is he will flash a buy or sell signal in the 9:50-10 am range that Quill says to use and then it may disappear after that.

Pardon my intrusion on this thread, but have been lurking for some time and learning a lot. I have been studying several different approaches to TA and trading and find it amazing how many different approaches there are. It's fun and interesting to get a new approach to learn.

In addition, have been playing with Excel and doing backtests on a variety of parameters using historical data for stocks from Yahoo that is easy to download. It allows you to tweak small changes and backtest years of data. It's been a hoot just to learn!!

So to my point, if the Price Labels are fleeting and change, how can you backtest?? Believe me, I'm not meaning that negative, just asking the question. Do they pop back up at a later time?? And is that 9:50 am EST or PST?

Did some ready on Stockcharts and they state:

The Price Labels are based on a calculation that looks "ahead" in time - i.e. it needs data on both the left and the right of the bar where the label appears. They are similar to the Zig Zag indicator in that regard. While it looks like they gave good signals in the past, that is because we "cheat" and look into the future when deciding where to draw them. That makes them useless for trading signals because you'll never see a Price Label appear at the far right edge of a chart. Another problem is that Price Labels often move as the chart develops further. Finally, we sometimes tweak the exact algorithm we use for placing Price Labels and so we haven't fully documented it.

Obviously, they make the obligatory disclaimer that they are not trading signs, yet they are algorithmic formulas to point out significant changes and "peaks" which is the name of the game......

Snow
Snow,

Thanks for your thoughts.

the reason for the time slot is because some people don't have access as a subscriber to Stochcharts and post some information with a 20-minute delay. So 9:50 to 10am est. is the starting time slot. Basically during a caw fee break.

Subscribers have access to live data as soon as the bell sounds.

I like paper and pencil in back testing as a what now.

Let's observe two charts. One a 2-month chart and the other a 4-month chart.

In no way are you going use a spreadsheet in getting data as to the correct information. Notice the price labels are different.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=CINR&p=D&yr=0&m... a two-month chart.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=CINR&p=D&yr=0&m... a 4-month chart. Okay, what happened on about April 7th.

If you can do a Parabolic Sar test, this might come close to the 4-month chart.

I believe that the two-month chart is the closest for accuracy.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=CINR&p=D&yr=0&m...

For excitement and nobody that I know of except for me is to work with the above chart, but will through a monkey wrench into any one doing a back test by spreadsheets.

And that is for every green bar heading north before a sell signal is to buy 100 shares at every green bar.
Sell all shares when Simon says to do so and then resume the pace all over again.

I still like paper and pencil in backtesting .

on any chart, 99 percent of the time, you can bet the farm that we can buy 200 shares after a SOLID Green bar that pops up the following morning and have a nice day. If wrong, Sh*t happens. Pic a chart any chart in your portfolio and observe my findings.

eg.... picked one out from the Barchart of the day list
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=TSE&p=D&yr=0&mn...

Quill-

Snow if you use TOS charts, you can do the same thing.
Quill,

First and foremost, I am not arguing any particular approach nor way to backtest. I am seeking clarification.

Your charts make my point, you can get different Price labels under different circumstances. And that is okay, just acknowledging the variation as someone looking back at prior labels, may see something different than someone who looked on that day.

And I'm not proposing Excel is better than Pen and paper, actually, still write a lot down myself. The point is, the high, low and open and close for any given stock on any given day, is what it is. Period. Those values do not change, they are what they are. Price labels may change as time goes by and the algorithm has the input of the future. Excel simply has the time cost upfront to design and write it, then the power to apply to many stocks in the future, in the blink of an eye.

Presume the key is the consistency of when Price Labels are looked at and then employed.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Here is my list of charts I view each day.

http://stockcharts.com/public/1112622
Snow,

I think part of the confusion when I mention they can disappear is the fact that I do not use daily charts. I only use weekly charts as that fits me better. A price flag on a Monday morning (9:50 est) for me is actually only a small piece of the week to come and not just that day. Yes, as a rule the price flag does return. I have been tracking flags and at times it puts me in or out a week sooner than the actual flag returning again. The general idea for me is backtesting different systems and how they hold up to a weekly chart.

The backtesting for this method is tedious as you have to move forward slowly in time. If moving forward too large a time frame Simon will remove some of the whipsaws. I move slowly as so that the whipsaws are included.

I am by no means an expert and I hope that explains the method a bit. As for the technicalities of the moving and disappearing flags I know Quill can explain that a lot better than I can. I would like to know too.

Gigi