Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
StockGoddess:
You've obviously read "The Millionaire Next Door" 8)

Yeah, DH's brother is like that. Still asking daddy for money in his 40's. Had daddy cash in an insurance policy to get the downpayment on his McMansion. Now daddy is ill, and it'll be interesting to see if bro steps up to the plate after all the hand-outs, or not.

Unfortunately, and I'm going on personal experience without knowing your situation in detail, I would suspect it will be the fiscally responsible siblings such as you and your husband that will have to step up to the plate.

DW has 2 siblings that are like that. Always in financial trouble and asking MIL & FIL to bail them out. DW's parents are pushovers and always gave in. By the time they were 70, they finally fiqured it out and stopped the cash infusions.

Of course, both siblings are now bitter that the cash payments have stopped. They blame the other 3 siblings that pleaded with FIL & MIL for years to stop. There excuses to DW? Your spouse makes more money than mine does! Your luckier than we are! Our kids are more troublesome!

Never once admittance about their lazy work habits, substance abuse, addiction to debt or gambling problems as the possible source of the cause.

Now that FIL & MIL are elderly and unable to do a lot of the work around their acreage, guess which kids are their to pick up the slack? It ain't the 2 dipstick kids, thats for sure.

MIL told us she wrote them out of the will. I really hope so. Not for DW's sake. We are doing fine financially. I just hate to see irresponsible people (and in one siblings case a true "evil" person) be rewarded.

decath
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.