No. of Recommendations: 0
Pretty basic question here that I think I know the answer to, but wanted to double check to make sure I am on the right track.

I currently have a ROTH IRA at Edward Jones that is invested in a series of mutual funds. I would like to start a new ROTH acct at Sharebuilder (I already have a stock account there).

So here's my question...how do you actually count the contibutions to a ROTH account invested mainly in stocks? Is it when cash gets transfered into the ROTH acct, or when stocks are bought within the account?

Also, if I sell stocks in a ROTH, but leave the cash in the account, that doesn't count as a "distribution", right? As long as I don't transfer cash out of that account and into another brokerage account, I can do whatever I want with the funds inside that account, correct?

Thanks,
ripper
Print the post Back To Top
is it when cash gets transfered into the ROTH acct

Yes

if I sell stocks in a ROTH, but leave the cash in the account, that doesn't count as a "distribution", right?

Right.

-drip
IRA accounts (both traditional and Roth) are like Las Vegas. What happens in the IRA stays in the IRA.

You can buy and sell securities to your heart's content inside an IRA.

The only thing that matters is what goes IN to the IRA account and what comes OUT of the IRA account. Those are the potentially taxable events.

--Peter