Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Currently appearing on the Fool's website is a feature entitled "Stocks We Love," or words to that effect. I can't find a message board devoted to this particular special, so I'm posting this here.

In the "Stocks We Love" special feature, various Fools review various stocks that they "love" -- for good reasons. The intention is good, but, I submit, the message is problematic. One should not fall in love with a STOCK -- or with a company. Love blinds us to other people's flaws, and so, too, does it blind us to flaws in a company or in its stock. (I distinguish between the company and the stock because a company can be terrific operationally but its potential as an investment may be weak or at best extremely uncertain. I have come to view Amazon.com this way, after having been "in love" with the stock for too long.)

So, I must say that I believe that the Motley Fool does a disservice to investors when it runs a feature like this with a message of "Stocks We Love." The message sounds, too, how do you say, Wise. You hear the Wall Street Wise talking like that: "We like this stock; we love this stock." IMHO, such a viewpoint leaves an investor too vulnerable to emotion. We should not be investing with our hearts, but with our minds.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.