Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Idi Amin and Pol Pot

2 well known butchers who were left alone to ply their demonic trades.....how could anyone help?...they were "soverign nations"..were they not?...and they were not white people..were they?...black, asians?...but when the Balkans...full of white people..went nuts...the powers that be did intervene;eventually...peculiar or what?...evil is evil...stand by and watch..or be a mensch....the menschkite.....a member of the human race?....or the rat race?.............just a thought.....tr
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 7
Tyranny begins when one person, particularly a person of power, begins to confuse his own opinions with fact.

History, my dear rat, is only for the moment.

Oji
No. of Recommendations: 0
Idi Amin and Pol Pot

Memories of Vietnam and the Soviets....we did not touch them....how quickly they forget the cold war......

db
No. of Recommendations: 3
History, my dear rat, is only for the moment. ?

WOW....heck of a statement ?.....being a real student of history..and seeing where the mistakes were made..and when..and why?....."moment">>>>>>>>>>>???????????????.....if u say so...but...I no say so....there u have it..I over here..and u over there..we can always wave at each other..bout as close as we can get.....tr

PS//ask the dead Cambodians if the moment stuff works....or the guys who jumped out of the twin towers to save themselves from burning...the event was of the moment...the historical ramifications are for longer than that............yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh...tr
No. of Recommendations: 6
the historical ramifications are for longer than that

Sorry, apparently my meaning wasn't clear enough. That is certainly not what I meant.

I mean that any particular view of history-- that is, trying to answer the "why?"-- is subject to change over time (and even place). Historical cause and effect is a matter of perspective, sometimes of situational perspective, such as one's view of Hiroshima being affected by whether or not you are American or Japanese. That is to say, your social identity affects your view of history.

Second, viewpoints are often a matter of timing, such as the justifications for colonialism being so 'obviously true' at the time and so 'obviously false' now. Morals and ethical laws are most certainly not immutable. As the mainstream sense of right and wrong shifts, our view of historical events and people shift.

Our perspective changes depending on the time and place of our existence, because these both affect our worldview. In other words, the 'truths' are history are fleeting, at best.

Not to say we cannot have an opinion, no, that would just be absurd. But when we become convinced that our view is not just correct, but the only legitimate viewpoint (ie, fact), when we take disagreement as a personal affront, or, worse, when we begin to see dissent as a threat to our 'truth,' that is the beginning of tyranny....and of ignorance.

And if I'm still not being clear enough, maybe this exchange will help illustrate things.

<paraphrased>
Kissinger: What do you see as the long-term effect of Napolean on Europe?
Mao: Too soon to tell.

I love that bit.

Best to you, Rat.

Oji

No. of Recommendations: 2
yo O...I buy what u say...sure I do....but right is still right..and wrong is still wrong...and we are all intellignet enuff to know the difference...the degrees of wrong are sometimes so great...so paramount as to remain members of the menschkite,,,that we are compelled to act...and not to act...is to degrade us as humans...for the world to stand by and let Idi Amin do what he did?...for Pol Pot to do what he did?.....remember when the Soviets starved millions of Ukranians to death becasue they resisted collectivisation in the 30's?.....that;s all I am talking about.....we are our brother's keepers.....we must act when the screams of suffering become intolerable....and sure...we made a tonne of mistakes...but....it's too late now to rectify...all we can do is deal with the reality of our time....and that reality was slammed home on 9/11.......we either go there..wherever?...and deal with it now....or stay here and await more of the same.....it is not going away....unless the world kills it off..."by any means necessary"........gardening here.....cyz tonite.............tr
No. of Recommendations: 0
History, my dear rat, is only for the moment. ?

HA, that is not history, that is your attention span.

db