Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Strawman.

I never said the properties of the parts don't matter. I (and benjd25, and now I assume NigelGlitter at least by inference) said MPG is not one of those properties. There is nothing about a piston (or the steel used to make it) that is "MPG". Even the gasoline...no MPG. Energy content, certainly. But how that energy is utilized is independent of the gasoline, and yet is part of the measure "MPG".

Step back a moment. Seriously. You're starting to sound like a YEC, except replace "Jesus" with "free will". You were never one to construct strawmen before, nor to mis-assign the burden of proof. You've always been rock-solid rational with logical arguments and actual data. Not sure why this particular topic has struck some sort of nerve with you such that you are engaging in YEC-like argumentation now. But you're not arguing up to your usual standards in these last few posts. And I say that with no malice or insult intended. Simply the observation that you seem to have more invested in the answer than usual for you. You're not furthering your argument constructing strawmen and trying to say "you can't prove me wrong". (disclaimer: that last is not a direct quote from you, but is clearly implied when you say I/we have no evidence that consciousness is not a property of matter; or that MPG is not a property of the steel used to make a piston.)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.