Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Two interesting quotes, from stories I saw at Yahoo Finance today:

(Reuters) "The company and the union could not make any headway on the issue that sparked the UAW's strikes in Flint, Mich., June 5: GM's demands for productivity-related changes in work rules at a metal stamping plant. Neither side had substantially altered its stance from the beginning ...."

(AP) "'We continue to examine all opportunities to reduce cash consumption, and we are carefully reviewing future spending for marginal products and facilities,' (GM Chairman Jack) Smith said."

The first quote suggests to me that the UAW still insists on its ridiculous work rules, choosing to continue to put all the blame on GM's cessation of upgrade funding at the plant; of course, that they have not "substantially altered" their stance is a joke, IMO, because I have yet to find a clear delineation of their stance anywhere.

The second quote is the ongoing threat that, if the UAW doesn't help improve productivity at the Flint plants, GM will simply close the plants.

Taken together, I'm guessing the strike will go a while longer, and that in the end, the UAW may undermine their workers' job security far worse than anything they ever imagined GM management has done. Unless, of course, they get serious about changes at the plant and the way they do things.

==> david
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.