Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I've been looking through some of the old New England Historic-Genealogical Society Registers, going back to the start in 1847. A couple of things I've noticed is that a lot of the articles are written by ministers, with doctors and lawyers running second and third. It makes sense. Ministers, doctors and lawyers were likely to be the most educated people in those days, and since they could often arrange their work hours to suit themselves they had time to wander through burying-grounds writing down information, or to do research on their family.

But what is more interesting is that it seems to be a men's world. Only gentlemen were admitted to the society at that time. No women. I don't know when that changed, but I'll keep an eye out for any indication that women would be allowed to be members. Even going back to the late 1800's there were plenty of women interested in tracing their families, so it will be interesting to see when the change came about.

Nancy
I started hunting through the Register because there was supposed to be an article on the Isles of Shoals somewhere in the fifth or sixth year, and there's no on-line listing of articles. I know, because I emailed them to ask.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.