No. of Recommendations: 0
Unfortunately, hubby has been a monthly contributor to the Strong Growth mutual fund for the past few years-in the form of a traditional IRA. This specific fund was 1 of 4 Strong funds allowing Canary Capital to conduct transactions from 11/26/02--7/3/03. He received a letter from Strong Investments which states a commitment to make appropriate reimbursement if investigation determines that Canary transactions adversely affected investors in these 4 funds.

We are not "big-money" investors, but this news has been quite devastating to us...currently his IRA market value is only approximately $900 more than actual-out-of-pocket $$ contributed to the Strong Growth Fund over the past 5 years...not a very good return, considering the years that he has faithfully contributed $75/month to his IRA.

My question...if hubby liquidates his shares & transfers them to another broker, would Strong Investments still be liable for reimbursement to him? My feeling is YES...since hubby was Growth Fund shareholder during time of Canary transactions...but what is the real answer?

Has anyone similiarly involved liquidated their shares & transferred them to a discount broker for self-directed management? I'm hesitantly leaning towards this alternative, since I manage my own small current $3000-value retirement...but not quite convinced that I can successfully manage hubby's slightly larger value IRA, since it does take time & effort that is not always easily available, due to full-time employment & managing healthcare of our elderly parents.

Thanks in advance to all who respond...all input most welcome...since I feel as if "I'm not seeing the forest for the trees", etc.

Apacherose

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.