Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 18
Confession Time:

As some of you know my Gym Time is after work, I use it as a Stress Release and somedays I REALLY do not want anyone to bother me while I'm working out. I basically keep my distance from everyone, the regulars I acknowledge and the "DumbBell Boys" (thanks for the 'TAG' Baldguy!) I just ignore. They ignore me too cause I'm not 20 years old.

With that said, last July before I told my month off to "readajust' my face, I was having a Clumsy Nite, the kind where you get dirt in your eye and have to go to the bathroom to remove your contact, hit yourself with the weights while putting them on the machine, ect. In the process of my annics, I noticed a young, rather pump, kid at the Leg Press machine pushing about 200lbs or so. He had just completed a set and was in obvious pain. I started a short conversation with him, just something stupid like, God I'm such a clutz tonite, & he said when he gets off the leg press he can hardly walk. We laughed and moved on.

That was 4 months ago, since then he has lost over 54lbs, is only 15 years old and comes with a family history of parents over 300lbs. His brothers have the same problem. He decided to do something about it, and started working out. He just started the Subway diet, and now does around 580lbs on the Leg Press. He also said he does not get a lot of support at home, in fact his father busts on him at dinner making sure he doesn't want more food.

How do I know this? Because tonight at the gym I took the time to ask him some questions like, "Are you going out for any sports at school?" I was amazed with his story and told him how cool it was that he was determined to change his life at such a young age and stuck it out for 4 months already! I wished him lots of luck and tried to encourage him the best I could.

As I drove home I couldn't help but think of how sometimes in life when you are struggling toward a goal and you feel like your not getting there or you feel like giving up, at that moment someone out of nowhere says something kind or encouraging to you and it is just what you need to get over the hump. I had this happen to me a few months ago, and I can only hope that a few minutes of my time to say "Hey your doing great, Keep up the good work" will make a difference in a his young life.

Ok, off my soapbox and back to lurk,

LV42

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.