Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Fools,

I need help with a couple of items. Please, and thanks in advance.

(1) In all of the literature that I have read(including TMF Investment Workbook), no one seems to place any real importance on the "Financing Activities" section of the Cash Flow Statement. It seems, based on the few that I have studied, these activities can make or break whether a company has a positive or negative cash flow and it would seem intuitive that these activities are a measure of how well management is using our money. Where am I wrong(and why)regarding my observations?

(2) I can flow pretty well from one financial statement to the other. However, "retained earnings" is eating my lunch. Considering the fact that earnings are not necessarily cash, then how does one retain an earning and what does a company do with these retained earnings? I ask only because it would seem all my expenses have been paid, I have used some of my earnings on capex, I have re-purchased stock, etc. In summary, I've gotten a little lost on the shareholders equity portion of the balance sheet and how that ties to the cash flow and income statement.

I sincerely apologize for the length of the post. Thanks for any response.

scarbdr
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.