Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Help! I feel like I'm stuck on the fence in deciding what to do with my 401k money. Due to a change in jobs, I'm needing to do something (besides cash-in) my 401k account with my former employer. The options are a) rollover to my new company's 401k plan (and yes an index fund is available), or b) convert to a Rollover IRA with a well-known fund management company.

I've read the Birds'n'Bees of 401k in the Fool training, read other messages on the board, and spoken with an investment broker. My question is why consider rolling over to an IRA, even if I have a better chance of beating the market when the maximum amount to invest is only $2000 per year? With compounding interest, won't even an average performing 401k index fund grow at a higher rate of return? How do I make this decision?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.