Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Like everyone else, I was ecstatic with the passage of the 1997 tax act. Finally, all of us who went to school to better ourselves (and the economy), taking out student loans to do so, were going to get a tax break. For once, tax breaks seemed to go to folks that needed it.

However, now that my wife and I both have gone on and gotten our Master's, we have another problem: our combined income grew so quickly that we no longer get the credits for interest paid on student loans (these phase out completely at $75,000 for a couple filing jointly).

To minimize our exposure, we bought a house. Still, it burns me up that we are paying on all those loans but not getting any break on the interest.

A friend of mine suggested that since real estate has appreciated so much, we should have enough equity in the house to pay off most of our student loans with a home equity loan, the benefit being that the interest on a home equity loan is deductable. Anyone have any thoughts on this advice?
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.