No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm asking a couple of questions on behalf of a family member who is currently serving in the Army. She has about $30K in student loans (before joining the Army) and must begin paying about $400 a month payments. She already had a deferment for a year although it will grow about $1,200 per year in interest if continuing to defer it since half is unsubsidized. What she needs is a forgiveness program or partial forgiveness.

Are there any programs for current military members who are currently serving to get Student Loan Forgiveness or something similar if not in the original contract (referring to LRP) or does he/she need to finish the current term then sign up again with the new agreement?

Are there any other programs that could help a soldier who doesn't qualify for the LRP?


-Joel White

LRP reference:

Enlisting Active duty Soldiers are eligible for the Loan Repayment Program if they meet the following conditions:

Soldier must agree to a term of service of three years or more.
Soldier must decline enrollment in the Montgomery GI Bill in writing, using DD Form 2366.
Soldier must have LRP guaranteed in writing in the enlistment contract.
Soldier must be a non-prior service accession.
Soldier must have a high school diploma and a score of 50 or higher on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB).
Soldier must enlist in one of the critical MOSs that qualifies for the program (Local Army recruiters have the current list, which changes quarterly).
Loans must be made, insured, or guaranteed under the Higher Education Act, Title IV, Part B, D, or E or any loan incurred for educational purposes made by a lender that is (a) an agency or instrumentality of a State; (b) a financial or credit institution (including an insurance company) that is subject to examination and supervision by an agency of the United States or any State; (c) from a pension fund or a non-profit private entity (subject to case-by-case review) and prior to entry on active duty.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thank your family member for her service!

Are there any other programs that could help a soldier who doesn't qualify for the LRP?

She should be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, as well as an income-driven payment plan (there are a few of these).

Basing the payments on her income should be able to decrease her payment amount, and if she makes 120 monthly on time payments (10 years) while in the Army (or other public service), the PSLF program would eliminate the rest of the debt.

income-driven repayment programs:

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for your reply. I forwarded the information that you provided. Hope it helps.

Thanks again!
Print the post Back To Top