Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'd like to fix this recipe, but I'm thawing a chuck steak.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/saikoro-steak/

Could I use chuck instead of tenderloin here? What if I marinated it in the garlic-infused oil and wine--maybe also soy sauce, which I have found tenderizes meat?

=alstro, bought a kabocha squash, which inspired me to fix a sort of Japanese bento box dinner over the weekend.

ASIDE
A couple of days ago I fixed another first-time Japanese meal: Goya champuru, an Okinawan specialty which is stir-fried Japanese bitter melon w/tofu, egg, and pork belly. It was really good. I seem to be in "squash mode" as this week we're also having spaghetti squash with mushroom-sausage marinara.
Print the post Back To Top
Chuck steak is usually tough when cooked quickly. For best result cook slowly in lots of moisture. Braising in boiling water until the meat almost falls apart usually works best. But I have seen it baked in foil with mushroom soup.

Your recipe might work if you pretenderize the chuck steak.
huh. Maybe I'll just fix beef stew or pot roast w/the chuck and then fix chicken teryaki in the "bento" (I don't really have bento boxes, just planning to use small plates/bowls). I imagine the kabocha will keep awhile.