Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I will make the first suggestion:

Ernest Hemingway's: In Our Time
This is Hemingway's first book. It is a collection of short stories, although to me the book is best viewed as a novel. It's fairly short and easy to read, but it is one of my favorites. It is an excellent example of Hemingway's unique style of writing (short and seemingly simple words and sentences that unleash an immense amount of emotion and meaning). For those who have never read Hemingway it is a great place to start. For those who have, it ranks up there with his best novels.

If you are interested, post a quick reply so we can get a rough idea of numbers.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have not read "In Our Time," though I think I have read a lot of his short stories.

Is "The Big Two-Hearted River" in it? That is his greatest short story, I think.

I also love the one about the boxer with insomnia.

I will look for "In Our Time" next time I am at the library. I have never been a big Hemingway fan, except for his short fiction, which I think was his strong point.

The novels I have read are The Old Man And The Sea and the one where the protagonist is an ambulance driver during the first world war, I think in Italy. I tried "For Whom The Bell Tolls" but had a hard time getting through it.
<<Is "The Big Two-Hearted River" in it? That is his greatest short story, I think.>>

Right on. Its in In Our Time. Not only is it Hemingway's best story it is, in my opinion, one of the best stories ever written by anyone.

Ambulance driver novel is "A Farewell to Arms"

1FW

Willy, please post a list of the stories in the tome you've suggested. I have "Complete Short Stories" and I can single out the ones in the book you've suggested.

My personal favorite is "The short happy life..."
I agree that "The Big Two Hearted River" is one of the finest works of literature in history.

Every single line in it is absolutely perfect.
"The Short Happy Life of Francis Macawmber" or something like that, I agree, it is another classic story.

I think Hemingway was at his best in his short fiction.
Count me in.
War--

I will get the list of stories up this evening. I don't have my copy on me right now.

Thanks,

1fw
No. of Recommendations: 1
For those who have a collection of short stories, here are the stories in In Our Time<i/>:

On the Quai at Smyrna

Indian Camp
The Doctor and the Doctor's Wife
The End of Something
The Three Day Blow
The Battler
A Very Short Story
Soldier's Home
The Revolutionist
Mr. and Mrs. Elliot
Cat in the Rain
Out of Season
Cross Country Snow
My Old Man
Big Two-Hearted River Part 1
Big Two-Hearted River Part 2

L'Envoi

This is the order they appear in the book. Also there are interchapters that should be read as well. I have the Finca Vigia Edition of the Collected Stories and all of In Our Time<i/>, both stories and interchapters, is in it in the right order.

1FW

Phillip K. Dick did a wonderful take-off on the title with his short story, "The Short Happy Life of the Brown Oxford." As you might guess, I like Dick's work.

Frolix8