Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've been lurking around this board for the last few weeks, and really enjoyed all the comments, especially on Frost and Conrad. In the absence of any other new book suggestions, I'd like to propose "What Maisie Knew", by Henry James. It is because I was reading this book that I didn't have time to get very involved in the other discussions. About half-way through it occured to me that it could easily be a commentary on modern times, altho' written in 1897. I don't want to give away too much of the story, but I began to see some similarities to today's culture of divorce, remarriage, redivorce, etc., etc. I'm not sure I feel qualified to lead a discussion, but I'd like to hear what others have to say.
Print the post Back To Top
I've been lurking around this board for the last few weeks, and really enjoyed all the comments, especially on Frost and Conrad.

Hi pennyb4,

Welcome to our discussion board. I think Herodius said it well when she mentioned that everyone must be on spring break as things have slowed down here for a bit. I like your suggestion, and since I do not know much of Henry James, this sounds like the time to foray into it. I will go to our local library's online site, punch in What Maisie Knew, and I will have it by Monday. It might be a bit before I can read it however. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Gerald
I am an avid reader, and I did not find it an 'easy read.' I'm not sure if it was the 100-year-old language; the numerous run-on sentences certainly contributed to it. Do you think 2 weeks will give you enough time?