Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Poetry anyone. I did some work in the Rare Book Department at UNC as a grad student. One of the things I did was come up with a mock exhibit for the Frost Collection. It was a biographical exhibit told, in part, through his own poetry. I have a list of poems that span his career and some bio material written up for each one. If anyone is interested, we could start a discussion where we go through Frost's life (he had a fascinating and tragic tragic tragic tragic life) reading and discussing selected poems along the way (the focus would be on the poetry). I could post a list of poems and we can start there. As we progress, anyone who wants to participate can suggest other poems as we wind our way through his life. I think this would be a great way to read his poetry as much of it seems to have his life imbedded in it.

It seems to me that Frost has taken on this weird position as American poet. We think of him as this friendly gentle white haired man who writes about snow and nature. To me his work seems much deeper and darker...

FREE POETRY!!!!

I have found that there is a lot of Frost Poetry available on the web so I don't think anyone would have to buy any books to participate. If you are interested, post a reply so we have an idea of numbers.

1fw
Print the post Back To Top
One more thing...most of his stuff is short and easy to read.

1FW
I think your idea of reading Frost's poems in connection with his biography is a great idea. It sounds fascinating and not too time consuming as far as the reading is concerned.
I just finished Starship Troopers and have started As I Lay Dying. I'd like to encourage people to try Starship Troopers even if they aren't science fiction fans. (I haven't read any science fiction in decades myself.) This book is thoroughly enjoyable and has a lot of food for thought, which I am looking forward to discussing. (March 4th, I think it is.)

Read on!
Hi 1fw! Found your new boards here via the Veg board and glad I made the time to finally visit.

I remember I used to love reading Frost in junior-senior high school; in fact, a teacher had bought me a paperback of Frost poems as a graduation present. Admittedly, I don't remember much at all, but some of my favs include:

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
(Yes, this is the first time I detected the undercurrent of "deeper and darker" thoughts; I remember having an intense (well, I was 13-years-old) chat with my English teacher that "Miles to go before I sleep..." meant death, or as in "rest in peace." What a personal epiphany, even though the teacher chuckled very knowingly; he did grant that I was the only student that caught that though. It made me start to wonder if Frost was suicidal or otherwise morbidly preoccupied - or surrounded by - death issues.

Hi 1FW,

Definitely, count me in. I would love to participate
in that! Excellent idea!

No. of Recommendations: 2
It made me start to wonder if Frost was suicidal or otherwise morbidly preoccupied - or surrounded by - death issues.

Hi there $IQ,

If you want a morbid poet, my fav is Emily Dickinson. I love her poems the more morbid the better.

A favorite:

I DIED for beauty, but was scarce
Adjusted in the tomb,
When one who died for truth was lain
In an adjoining room.

He questioned softly why I failed? 5
“For beauty,” I replied.
“And I for truth,—the two are one;
We brethren are,” he said.

And so, as kinsmen met a night,
We talked between the rooms, 10
Until the moss had reached our lips,
And covered up our names.

Frolix8
If you want a morbid poet, my fav is Emily Dickinson. I love her poems the more morbid the better.

Hi Frolix8! :)

I forgot about dear old emily dickinson! Isn't she the one with no initial caps? :) Another great "American" poet(ess), heh.

I just remembered: off topic in terms of Rbt. Frost, but how about Edgar Allen Poe? :) Short stories, poetry, fascinatingly debauched (well, maybe tame by these days standards), and brilliantly (probably) insane.

Thanks for the additional ideas! :)

$IQ

P.S. I was cut off earlier - also wanted to mention Rbt. Frost's "Nothing Gold Can Stay." Yup, flw1, lots of his beauties are shorties... I must dig out that old paperback again! :)
Definitely count me in re Robert Frost...one of my favorites. 4th grade teacher made me memorize "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening"...haven't forgotten it many years later, plus love the rest of his poetry.

Donna
And so, as kinsmen met a night,
We talked between the rooms, 10
Until the moss had reached our lips,
And covered up our names.

Wow, sent goosebumps up my arms.

Beautiful.

Beth

1fw,
at this rate you'll have to set up a Book Club(Frost) board! Count me in. And thanks for undertaking this labor, clearly, of love.
Mike
Beth

Glad you enjoyed it. There a bunch of ED's poems posted on the web. If you want to find more, just do a search one Yahoo/Google. A ton of sites come up.

Take care,

Frolix8
Isn't she the one with no initial caps? :) Another great "American" poet(ess), heh.

I don't think she is the one without caps. Are you thinking of e.e. cummings?

She is the poet that didn't title any of her poems, also you can supposedly read all of her poems to the tune of "Yellow Rose of Texas." Also you are right in a later post, all of her work was found after she died.

She is great, I have sort of committed myself to a lot of books right now, but maybe in a couple of weeks we can do a discussion of her stuff.

1FW