Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm looking for some light funny books that I can give as gifts to a patient and/or caregiver who is suffering from a terminal illness (something to take their mind off their problems and maybe laugh a little).

All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
e
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
I'm looking for some light funny books that I can give as gifts to a patient and/or caregiver who is suffering from a terminal illness.

This is not at all what you're asking for, but years ago I lent my copies of the Patrick O'Brian novels to a terminal friend. Lymph cancer. I think there were around 17 books in the series at the time, it eventually ended with the 20th book. I initially just lent him a couple of them, because he was interested. But he devoured them. Demanded the next, and the next. I love the books myself, so it was great to have this thing to share with my friend who was going away soon: a rare treat to sit around with him and swap "Didn't you love it when - !" back-and-forth about the books.

Later he told me that I couldn't know how great it was for him to have those books. He had pain that often prevented him sleeping at night, etc. He said, the experience of being able to lose himself in an utterly absorbing fictional world, especially a world that persists for so long (many books, many weeks), was just huge for him. That it was one of the best gifts (most helpful) anyone could have given at that time.

[What the hell's this thing in my eye?!?!]

So anyway. My only recommendation is this. It may be that light & funny are not all they're cracked up to be, in this situation. Terminal people sometimes have a sense of humor that is anything but "light". And they're sometimes more interested in wrestling with the dark and with great questions than they are in fluff. You might want to poke around and see if you have some books you absolutely love, especially if the person is bed-ridden or in the hospital.

Best wishes in your tough time,

Jim
I'm looking for some light funny books that I can give as gifts to a patient and/or caregiver who is suffering from a terminal illness (something to take their mind off their problems and maybe laugh a little).

You didn't specify genre. If SF/F, then you might consider Piers Anthony's Xanth series. I found them amusing, but eventually tiresome as the punning became too extremely blatant and frequent.

Then, there's "The Flying Sorcerers" - a tour de force by Gerrold & Niven.

Practically anything by Ron Goulart is funny.

In non-SF novels, you might give some thought to the Jeeves series by P. G. Wodehouse. Those are simply hilarious, although dated. Many of them are in print in this country presently.
Patrick O'Brian --- great recommendation, they're not comedy but they do lift your spirits.
If you want something funny, I always thought Douglas Adams was hilarious. He is best known for his "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Series" but his detective novels are also outstanding (I think the first was called "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency").

There are some really funny travel narratives (a nice thing to read if you are stuck in a bed). Redmond O'Hanlon is really good ("In Trouble Again") and anything by Bill Bryson.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

This is a woman dying of lung cancer. She has been bombarded with books about her disease and books about "laughter and cancer".

She loves to read and has plenty of time during her chemo treatments, but I am NOW thinking maybe an audio book would be better because even though I love to read when my mind is busy it's easier for me to be distracted with the radio or TV.

I'll look into the books mentioned.

Thanks again,
e

"I'm looking for some light funny books that I can give as gifts to a patient and/or caregiver who is suffering from a terminal illness (something to take their mind off their problems and maybe laugh a little)."

Erma Bombeck - and I really do miss that great lady. She faced the next life with zest and humour.
roko2

"Shoot Low, Boys, They're Riding Shetland Ponies!" and other books by Lewis Grizzard....
DAVE BARRY! DAVE BARRY DAVE BARRY DAVE BARRY! THAT GUY IS HILARIOUS!