No. of Recommendations: 2
Summary:

It's dying.

No it's not.

It's dying!

No it's not.

It's dying in this 17 ways!

We need more data.

Whether it's dying or not, perhaps the question is better put this way. Does TMF have a place in this modern world of memes, pictures, and cat videos? I would argue that it does, simply because the written word is one way (not the only way) that people like to communicate. I have watched many a board grow and die over the decades. TMF isn't my first forum style board (Vax Notes had that honor) and I even used to be a Pern MUSHer. You know what it feels like when things get quiet.

And yet this is an unusual mode of communication, somewhere between the enormousness of mass media and the intimacy of a private conversation over coffee. It serves a purpose similar, in my mind, to the barber shops, corner bars, and book clubs of previous decades. A place to get some advice, offer some information, make connections. It is, I think, something that is very much needed in this world.

On a somewhat related note, I recently learned that when someone shares a quote or meme or video on Facebook without commenting on it (and sometimes even if they do comment), you can click on the 3 little dots on the right side. That will bring up a series of possible actions. You could snooze your friend who posted it, but if you still want to see their personal updates, you can instead snooze -- or hide completely -- the underlying source. So whether that's "I'm not right in the head" or "Scary Mommy" or "Religion Of Your Choice Inspirational Quotes," you can make it disappear. The benefit is that once you get rid of it, you can see the original content that your actual friends are posting. I have one friend who is a fantastic photographer, another who is a professional french horn player, a third who has been sick and getting better. Those are much more important to me than the humor,the cat videos, and the divisive political stuff. I recommend trying it.

ThyPeace, also, it's dying. No it's not.
Print the post  

Announcements

Community Town Hall
Banter, potshots, and all the stuff we said you can't post on ITF. Why not try it?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.